There are many self-care tools that we can use but we often neglect to do so. Sometimes, what is right in front of us or within us, and seems too obvious is what we overlook the most in search of more meaningful or practical solution. Many simple answers are right here, and all we need to do is take a leap and start implementing those solutions to our problems.
Per definition, gratitude is the quality of being thankful. It also includes our appreciation of people around us. Are we kind and generous towards people we know? When feeling grateful we enhance positive emotions within us while appreciating good things in our lives. We celebrate the present and look forward to the future.
As mentioned above, gratitude may be considered self-care tool that needs to be practiced on a daily basis.
Benefits of practicing gratitude:
- Emotional relationship with other people gets stronger
- Increased self-esteem and self-compassion
- Stronger immune system and improved health that are direct result of increased energy and reduction of insomnia occurrences. With improved sleep habits we reduce likelihood of getting sick.
- Emotional strength and positive opinion of yourself
You can add gratitude into your day and busy schedule by:
- Practicing mindfulness
- Volunteer at work or at local shelter
- Donate your blood
- Write a thank you note to a person you love and care for
- List three things daily, for which you are grateful for
By feeling gratitude towards yourself and others you will develop positive outlook on life. We all need daily acts of kindness to give and receive. Gift of kindness and gratitude are the best gifts you can give to someone. It will make you feel good and it will make others feel good too. You will feel better knowing that you like people you are surrounded by. When you do good deeds towards others you will receive good deeds in return as well.
Believe in the goodness of others. You know that people are basically good as you are a good person too. And you are not alone.